Sunday, November 28, 2010

Social Bookmarking....What is it?!!

During our CMC class, we were assigned to a group project in which we had to discuss our given topic. Our group was given social bookmarking. I actually had no idea what it was. I could have read all of the definitions to help me understand what it was. But the best way for me to figure out what social bookmarking, was to actually explore it. An accessory of social bookmarking is this voting aspect. Social bookmarking is a website where people can post news articles up. It normally involves a headline related to the article and a short description of what the article is about. Then each article is voted by the people who read it. So before reading a story that might interest you, you are able to see how other people view the story. So if the story was uninteresting, it may have very few votes.

My group found out there were several different bookmarking sites. Some were good....some were bad. It all started out with delicious.com. I found this website to be the most dull and the most boring. I then checked out yahoobuzz.com. It was actually a pretty good website. It was colorful with readable text and small pics relating to the story. My favorite was fark.com. Not only does it have a comical name but each article was characterized by a word, such as humorous, funny, stupid, dumb, etc. It is super biased but the description leads to which way the biases lean.

The social bookmarking has actually benefited me in writing my three research papers this semester. I was able to go on to those websites, search for the subject I was researching, and it would give me news articles that pertained to my subject. Most of the articles came from reputable sources such as cnn.com, msnbc.com, and foxnews.com. It helped me gather more sources to better the information in my paper.

Here are the links to my favorite social bookmarking websites:
FARK
YAHOOBUZZ
DIGG

No comments:

Post a Comment