Friday, November 19, 2010

Addicted to Texting: Guilty as Charged

Texting----Did we ever think it would take over our lives? Well it has. And if it hasnt taken over your life, it has taken over someone you knows life. This video shows mostly teens that develop this addiction of texting but I know in my 20s, I have an addiction and several of my friends do too. It is not nearly as bad as these kids, but its bad.



This to me is insane. And Im falling for it too. My texts have gone well over 100o in one month. Since I got my iphone it has increased by a lot. The iphone texting format has it set up like an instant messaging box. I dont always send everything I want to say in one text. For example:

Kylee: Hey Kim
Kim: Hey Kylee!!
Kylee: Whatcha doing?
Kim: Well....
Kim: I've been trying to type this paper but I can't seem to get motivated.
Kim: and I've been having so many interuptions...
Kylee: aww! Im sorry!!

I feel the need to always have my phone. Sometimes if I dont get a text after a couple of ours I text someone and initiate a conversation with them. When I do leave my phone at home, I feel lost. I normally have to go back home and go get it. Its sick how addicted I am to my phone. I wouldnt even know how to quit texting as much. I have friends that I TEXT only with. We dont talk on the phone at all, we just text. None of my conversations are important and I dont think its the actual texting I am addicted to. I am addicted to the constantly being in touch with someone else. It is constantly having someone making conversation with me. It feels like I am getting attention.I know it sounds crazy but its reality.Texting has become such the norm. I even have classes where I can pull out my phone, send a text, and put it back in my booksack. Teachers dont really say anthing anymore. As long as I am not texting all throughout class it seems to be ok.

We also have campaigns and commercials encouraging people not to text while driving. In the past few years people have killed and gotten killed by people who were texting and driving. They have made laws about texting and driving.

Is society falling into this danger? Is our world really coming to this? Will it get worse? Will texting ever end or is this a fad? Its scary.....very scary.....

1 comment:

  1. Kim,
    This is a great post. I know exactly how you feel, because I am also a texting addict! I am always so involved with my phone, that I sometimes forget things. It's a horrible thing to always feel the need to text. I don't like talking on the phone, but I will text all day, EVERYDAY!

    ReplyDelete